What is mold?
Molds are part of the natural environment. Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through the outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture.
Why is mold a problem?
Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.
How do I recognize mold?
There are several features that distinguish mold growth. Mold often appears as black, green, or brown fuzzy or powdery patches on surfaces in humid environments, though spores can also be gray, purple, or red in color. Mildew is the common term used to describe mold and its discoloration to unfinished wood.
Contact us now to discuss your current or future project plans.